China has successfully sent the world’s first 6G communications test satellite into orbit from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center.
Not so long ago China launched their first 5G network that became popular through Huawei Technologies.
Out of more than 200 countries in the world, only 38 countries have started using the 5G technology. Although some regions have not yet deployed the 5G, China has already leaped to another futuristic technology.
On November 6, China sent 13 satellites into orbit with a single rocket, including the world’s first 6G communication experiment satellite.
The 6G frequency band will expand from the 5G millimeter wave frequency to the terahertz frequency which is an electromagnetic wave with a frequency range between microwave and infrared.
Inception Of The 6G Technology
The Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology formed a team of experts that would work on the country’s 6G technology research and development, which marked the recent launch of the 6G network.
The country has already set in motion the R&D projects to explore the 6G technology feasibility and its applications in the nation’s industries.
After a recent 6G technology R&D meeting held in Beijing, China, and attended by top-level government officials, scientists and researchers, the government bureaus appointed a national 6G technology R&D panel led by 37 experts, to drive the government initiated project.
The panel’s main tasks are to draft the 6G research blueprint and conducting technical demonstrations, as well as offering advice on major decisions.
Expected Benefits Of 6G Technology
1. 6G will be the fastest technology that will be 100 times faster than the current 5G technology.
2. 6G technology will enable lossless transmission in space to achieve long-distance communications with smaller output.
3. According to a BBC report, the 6G “satellite also carries technology which will be used for crop disaster monitoring and forest fire prevention.”
4. Physical and health data, currently only knowable with expensive hospital machines, will be actively monitored by individuals, in real time, who will have intimate knowledge of their biological data.
5. 6G technology will enable the use of new frequency ranges, new infrastructure, and enhanced integration of space-air-ground-sea communication technologies.
Expected Downsides Of 6G Technology
1. Some scientists worry 6G technology might affect astronomical instruments or public health, or be too expensive for researchers to use.
2. The use of 5G networks has already raised significant concerns about its effects on human and environmental health due to its excessive radiation, it’s not yet clear whether 6G technology might follow the same path.
The launch of the 6G test satellite marks a major breakthrough in the exploration of terahertz space communication technology in the Chinese space field. This great move has come to surpass the world’s tech giant, US, in advanced ultra high-speed communication networks.
While the 6G technology is still in development, there’s still a long way to go, many experts will have to do more research, design hardware and testing its environmental impacts before it becomes viable for commercial use.